Friday, February 13, 2009

Writing workshop and peer response

In my memories, I don’t think we had the experience of sharing our writings with our peer learners and receiving feedbacks back in school. Writing is always regarded as an individual thing; no matter it was a weekly journal, a diary, or an academic writing that the teacher assigned.

Yes, back in middle school days, some good articles will be read aloud in front of the whole class by the teacher, but that was just for the appreciation purpose – to allow the whole class enjoy how beautifully the article was written. Gradually it turned out that we admired that writer much more than we appreciated the article. No further comments were invited from the rest of the class, and that article was regarded as the final product – a model article.

Back to my own teaching days, I also assigned writing tasks, on specific topics. But due to the big class (I had 120 college students in one Reading and Writing class), most of the time, my young writers’ reader, and their only reader was me. Occasionally, I would find one or two outstanding “model article”, which conveyed creative thoughts and refreshing air; which also carried a plenty of common mistakes that many other students may make while writing in English. Having got the permission from the writer, I would copy and paste the article to a Word document on a computer to share with the whole class, and also read aloud in front of them. Although the writer’s name had been hidden, and the students were very active in “pointing out” the mistakes, I felt something was not right... Yes, the poor writer’s face was getting redder and redder – he/she was embarrassed to some degree. Although I was still inviting students to appreciate how the paper was structured and how carefully some particular words were chosen, my students’ attention had gradually transferred from “appreciating” to “error correcting”. Will the young writer still be willing to “share” the writing with the rest of the class next time? I doubt.

This Tuesday, we had a writing workshop. We were still using one “sample article”, and the comments from the rest of the class were invited. But this time, our aim was not to “fix the article” or to correct the mistakes; instead, we were to tell the writer what we saw and what we felt about his article. I truly believe that it was a healthy way to encourage the growth of a writer by letting him/her hear the voice directly from the readers, realizing his/her own strengths and weaknesses. It is a community where people trust each other and are honest with each other...

I will definitely adopt writing workshop and peer response in my future classrooms, to build up their confidence in writing, and to help them become a better writer, and, of course, I hope I could be given a smaller classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely know what you mean. So many of my previous workshop sessions have been aimed at "fixing" a paper rather than discussing how precisely it succeeds or fails. Or, as Elbow might say, we talked about what it could have done instead of what it DID do. I think the type of workshop we did on Thursday gives the reader not only an idea of what works but HOW it works, which is just as important, if not more so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was fascinated by your description of teaching a class of 120 (was that how many you said?) and cutting and pasting a paper and reading it aloud. Also reading articles of find writing. I do know that good writers read good writing and I remember in the distant past, teachers reading really nice pieces of writing aloud--maybe like we do meditation in the beginning of class--also recall in art studio, a very well respected teacher simply placing a print of a well-known beautiful piece of art up on the board while everyone went about their business. It was simply something to meditate on, sink in, that sort of thing. I like this idea. Maybe not doing it all the time, but, like reading a beautiful poem or something, it gives one something to mull over.

    ReplyDelete